Thursday, September 9, 2010

Kindred Spirits

When I first met Trusty, she barked at me like crazy. Rosemary said that meant she liked me. I took that as a good sign. Shortly after that, we discovered that we shared a mutual love for hiking on Mt. Tam and we spent many wonderful days there together (some with Rosemary) enjoying the salty air, the warm breeze, open vistas, and closed-in wooded areas. With her herding instincts, she'd usually run back and forth between me and Rose when we were separated and, in truth, Trusty hiked about four times the length that we did. She was a very impressive hiker. At times, I thought if she were only a man...we'd be the perfect couple! Anyway, enough of that.

We did end up living together (along with Rose) for about 9 months and we shared a lot in that short period of time, a whole lot. When I returned from the hospital once after being gone for about a week and definitely not strong enough to hike, I entered the house with my brother and Rosemary's assistance and Trusty walked right along side me, up the front stairs just to make sure I was okay. It was the strangest thing that this otherwise spunky and effervescent creature walked next to me in complete silence and practically on tip-toe.

She certainly did have a very well-developed sixth sense for us humans: what makes us tick, what makes us happy and sad, and what makes us vulnerable. She was a unique dog who made so many of our lives better. I will miss her smiling face and deeply sensitive core. Bye Trust! xo - j

1 comment:

  1. I've known Trusty since I was a baby. She was a sweet dog. Unlike other dogs, Trusty never barked at me or nipped me or bothered me. She let me pet her all the time and played with me a lot. I'm going to miss Trusty a lot. Sorry, Rose. Love, Ying Ying

    ReplyDelete