Sunday, September 12, 2010

That means she likes you....

It was another impossibly beautiful weekend in Quogue with the Rossi's. Once again, Bernice & Mike exteneded their legendary hospitality to Rose and her pals. I'd heard that there was a new member of the family and looked forward to meeting little Trusty, only a few months old. As I exited my car, Rosie and a teeny-tiny dark puppy raced towards me. Before I could get down to pet her, Trusty had arrived at my ankles, examined them closely and given me a little love bite. Or so it was to be described later by Rosemary. :) The "ouch" that I thought might have remained in my head apparently broadcast forward and all heads snapped up quizically....? Between the bottom hem of my light blue pants and white slip-on Keds, Trusty had given me an introductory nip. The tiny trace of blood belied the searing, needle-like pain from her young enthusiastic chompers. I pretended it didn't hurt and wasn't alarming to me, but in truth, I who had so little experience with dogs was quite thrown.

I share that to point out another example of "that means she likes you," a particularly lovable refrain of Rosie's when Trusty did anything (good or bad to use Santa's scale) in your presence. And to say that it was a wonderful, completely uphill journey with Trusty from there. I cried when I heard Trusty had passed because I really felt a special connection with her and because I know the incredible light and love she brought to Rosie's life. I fondly remember many walks with Rose and TR in Boston, Westhampton Beach, Sante Fe (where the tumbleweed would get caught in her pantaloons), San Francisco, Sag and so many other wonderful places.

Trusty will be greatly missed as she now strolls the lanes of doggie heaven or whatever wonderful place she's earned above (tumbleweed free). Her expressive being, particularly that thumping tail, bouncing eyebrows and insistent, loving nuzzle leave a big void already.

Much love and big hugs to you from here, Rosemary. Thanks for sharing your sweet Trusty with us all.
xox,
Mary Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment