Sunday, September 12, 2010

across the veil



Sweet RosemaryI wanted to send you a picture of me and our beloved Guinness that was taken on the morning of his last day. He had walked beside me 14 years. I have felt Guinness' presence in strikingly palpable ways in the years since Shawn and I made the clear but heart-wrenching choice we would relieve our sweet shepherd of his suffering and lay our noble beast to rest. 

One vivid day, a few weeks afterward we had buried him in our garden, I am sitting beside his grave talking softly to him. At one point I say out loud, "I miss my handsome boy." And immediately and clearly I hear a voice in my head reply: "I am more handsome now than ever."

I trust that Trusty, like Guinness, has merged with the light and will walk beside you always.

1 comment: